Monday, February 11, 2008

Ideal Situtation

For those of you that know me, know that I am a VERY type-A person. I am a list taker and if I don't have a list at the grocery store, I feel lost and end up buying nothing I need and everything I don't. Whenever I go on a long trip, I make a list of everything I will need, and then everything I need to pack the next morning along with everything I might forget. I try to be organized and stay on top of things, but sometimes having too many lists and over-analyzing is my biggest fault. Going along with my lists, I makes plans. Every time life throws me a curve, I try to make a plan. To throw a wrench into my plans, I am a perfectionist, so naturally my plans are perfect. This leads to a lot of expectations not being met. I've heard from many people I love that my expectations are too high sometimes and that worry will just drive me nuts. I know this, but it's hard to change some habits in life. Through my son's life I have learned that the "right way" and the "right time" are usually NEVER mine. As much as I want it to be, it won't be. This has helped me in his life and I think I have gotten better when it comes to him.

I say this to talk about my current life plan. I had the next two years of my life and my family's life planned out...."had" being the key word. I had our "ideal situation" laid out and knew I would be disappointed if it didn't come through. Well...it didn't, and that is okay. I've learned from this that there really isn't an "ideal situation" for anyone only ideal people in the life that you are living. Sometimes plans are more trouble than they are worth, and I need to learn to let things happen and not over worry about timing in life.

I've also learned that stress and too high of expectations can lead to hurt feelings, people saying things they don't really mean (or at least I hope they don't), and long silent rides home.

With this being said, there is no "ideal situation" anymore, just "ideal people" and I am glad I have been blessed with them in my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I'm one. I love you. AND...yes, Regis & Kelly have obviously made a HUGE mistake!!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how wonderful motherhood is? It changes us in so many ways. It disapoints us and on the other hand it makes us flexible. I had to learn the hard way like you to lessen my expectations or don't have any when dealing with situations with the kids or I would be in for a lot of disappointments. I'm sure many of us other moms feel the same way.

LeslieTummel said...

this made me smile because i am totally the same way. josh thinks my lists are hilarious, and he makes fun of me for having a planner the same size as his mom (which SHE bought me for graduation :). he's a very go with the flow type person, and sometimes it makes me crazy b/c i just can't seem to be that way no matter how hard i try!

Anonymous said...

Caroline, you are just like your Dad!! Except you do talk and have lots of fun! He is a really big planner and has notes everywhere!! Just ask the nurses he works with. I just go with the flow most of the time, as I'm sure you know! I love you.

Anonymous said...

You know I am the same way....love having a plan and seeing it come through and love making lists and checking things off. Isn't it funny how sometimes our plans don't come through, but it's for the best anyway? It's amazing how God knows what is best for us and our family and sometimes we just need to be reminded of that. Thanks for sharing!