Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Words, Words, Words

When I was a senior in high school my English teacher, Mrs. Freeman assigned us a 5 minute speech titled, "Words, Words, Words." I remember we could write a poem about what we learned that year and had to site 15 specific things (this is the one I did), talk about a life changing event, talk about our plans for the future, or just about anything we wanted to. I remember people talking about mistakes they had made, problems they had, and the futures they planned to have. While I thought this was just another speech, I remember her talking about the importance of words and the power they had over people. 10 years later, this is one of the most vivid memories I had of this class. I remember people crying through their speeches, I remember people laughing, and I really remember the A I got on the speech :)

10 years later, I realize she is right. You always hear "Actions speak louder than words." I don't know that I believe that anymore. While it is nice when people do nice things for you, and you don't expect it, it also takes alot for someone to look you in the face and say "I love you" or "I am sorry" and really mean it and know in their hearts WHY they love you or why they are sorry. It may just be the sappy girl in me, but words are really starting to mean more. While someone can say they are sorry for something they said, you still remember what they said. You can misunderstand what they mean, but you still heard what they said and they had to think it to say it. You also can remember the times people said "I'm really glad you called" or "I really enjoyed our time together, I had alot of fun" or even simply "I'm praying for you." Maybe it's just because I am such a black and white person or maybe it's because Taylor is starting to talk, but words are becoming more important to me and they stick with me longer.

It's so exciting to see Taylor go in his room, go straight for his fish light and say "fish." Right now it sounds kind of like "dish" but he knows what that is. He comes up to you and signs more, but then says "juice." You ask him to put his toy on the table, and he does it. Words are becoming meaningful to him and not just background noise.

I should have said it then, but better late than never...Thank you Mrs. Freeman.

1 comment:

LeslieTummel said...

I think of that speech all the time. :) It was probably one of my favorites that we ever did.